Monday, February 1, 2010

The verg, aka, The VRG!

That's right folks, we managed to find a dry place to climb after 2 weeks of snow and rain. The VRG, Virgin River Gorge, in northwest Arizona. Although it is only accessible through Utah or Nevada. We chose Utah and camped at the Moe's Valley bouldering area, check out the view that we got to wake up to.
The VRG is a fairly narrow Limestone canyon that has the I-15 freeway passing through it, this creates a lot of noise but the rock quality is so good that it is totally worth the hassle.
I think that it was originally Kim's idea to go because she wanted to send a classic route called "The Mentor" 12b. I got a few shots of her working on it. It is definately one of the best routes in the country for the grade, and it is no gimme, it's VERY solid at the grade. I got a few shots of her working it that I've posted below.
I didn't send anything new this trip, but I had a GREAT time and can't wait to get back. I started working on "Subterfuge" 13b, because it looks steep and I am usually better at steep stuff, but all the really hard parts of the route are on the vertical stretches. But the moves are so great that I am hooked and just love climbing it.
Sammy worked on a few different things. Below is a rendered photo of him on "Hell comes to frog town" 13d. He's looking forward to getting back there asap also!

No comments:

Post a Comment